At least 270 people have been killed and 90 injured in a terrorist attack on a mosque frequented by Sufis in the north of the Egyptian Sinai peninsula, said Nasrallah Mohamed, mayor of the city of Bear al-Abd
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi made a speech broadcast on state TV as the country came to terms with one of worst terror attacks in its recent history after a bomb planted at a mosque in the Sinai town of Bir al-Abd, near Arish, was detonated during Friday prayers.
A security official told EFE that an unknown assailant detonated explosives that had been planted in a mosque in time for Friday prayers, when the complex would have been busy with worshipers.
In the wake of the blast, gunmen opened fire on those seeking to escape the building, which was a place of worship for Sufi Muslims, a sect of Islam that has been the target of persecution in the past.
Ambulances that arrived in the immediate aftermath of the blast came under fire from the attackers.
Three days of national mourning have been declared.
No terror group has so far come forward to claim responsibility for the attack.
Several militant groups are active in this area of Sinai, including Al-Wilayat Sinai, which has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terror organization and claimed the bloodiest attacks in this region in recent years. (24 noviembre 2017, EFE/PracticaEspañol)