Madrid / “Put something nice.” That was the instruction Martín Chirino gave his family about the dedication that should appear in his unpublished biography, “La memoria esculpida. Conversaciones con Antonio Puente”, a journey through the artistic, intellectual and human career of the sculptor.
A book “with which I was very excited”, and that will be published soon, according to EFE sources confirmed by the publisher Galaxia Gutenberg, the publishing company which edits the memories of the artist from the Canary Islands who died at the age of 94 in Madrid.
It was foreseen that this volume would release in May, but it will be publish earlier, according to the same sources.
“I am the man who, thanks to his work, is made in one piece. But also full of doubts”, says the universal artist in this book, in which through conversations with the writer and journalist Antonio Puente (Las Palmas de Gran Canarias, 1961) is unveiled the evolution of his thinking about life in general and art in particular.
Africa, America and Europe
A cross testimony that, from its insular origin, so decisive in its work, extends to three continents: Africa, key in the first stage of its formation; America, where he lived -on the banks of the Hudson River, in New York-, and Europe.
It was precisely in Europe, where Chirino was inspired from the avant-garde to become the outstanding representative of the El Paso group, “an oasis of informality in the wasteland of the Spanish post-war period,” as the volume’s prologue states.
Some of the highlighted phrases from the biography of Martín Chirino
These are some highlighted phrases that the artist leaves in this book, written over three years with Puente, both in his Canarian residence and in Morata de Tajuña in Madrid.
– “I consider myself a passionate stoic, from the conviction that without passion there is no life”.
– “I am a lonely wanderer and cosmopolitan. And the only limit to perpetual nomadism is in the workshop, which is perhaps my true home. “
– “When I walked through Las Canteras, the urban beach of my childhood in Las Palmas, I wondered how I could open the horizon and go to the other side. In a way, I have achieved it.”
– “It’s evident the tribute that my work yields to Julio González and his conception of sculpture as” drawing in space “, and my definitive ascription to “Less is more”, the proclamation of Mies van der Rohe as he teaches from the Bauhaus school: to occupy the maximum space with as little material as possible.
“With these innovative wickers,” he continues, “I found harmony with El Paso Group, which was an oasis of motivation for me, in a way unheard of, in that wasteland of Franco’s culture, when the hegemony of art was dominated by realism. more elementary. “
– “When I discover the life of men I feel myself being shot towards an incessant flight. I see them entangled in the daily acceptance of things as in a world of masks that is foreign to me”.
– “My work is not a gesture but a presence. Anyone who thinks that, by ways of delicacies, I am going to escape. That is why it pursues simplicity, lacking in adhesions and false elements. Try to flow in the space growing from within. It is organic in its forms. It does not develop by additions.”
– “A certain suffering is inherent to the creative process. This is what the British call discomfort, and which alludes both to disagreement and to restlessness. To some extent, pain is the toll we pay to achieve well-being and harmony with ourselves. “
– “A spiral is the beginning and the end: forward and backward is the same. It is the principle of life and the other: its ellipses. I do not know where a work begins and where it ends, and that is the spiral.” (March 17, 2019, EFE/Practica Español)
News related in video (2011):
Lee la noticia y responde a las preguntas. (Read the news and answer the questions.)
un libro que trata de la vida de un escultor español.
un libro que escribió un escultor sobre la vida de otros artistas.
un libro que un escultor escribió sobre su vida.
va a ser publicado antes de lo que estaba previsto.
se publicará justo cuando la editorial tenía previsto.
va a ser publicado a finales de este año.
solo recoge las preguntas que Chirino hizo a un escritor.
no recoge la charla que tuvo Chirino con un periodista.
recoge la charla que tuvo Chirino con un escritor y periodista.
se fue desarrollando en tres continentes.
solo fue desarrollada en el continente europeo.
no fue desarrollada en ningún país del continente americano.
el dolor es algo propio e inseparable del proceso creador.
es un mito que el artista sienta disconformidad durante el proceso creativo.
es posible crear una obra sin sentir cierta disconformidad durante el proceso.
tiene formas complejas para transmitir cómo es la vida.
carece de simplicidad.
busca la simplicidad.
a Chirino le gustaba llevar un modo de vida sedentario.
Chirino jamás sintió la necesidad de evadirse.
Chirino sentía la necesidad de huir de la vida cotidiana que la gente suele tener.
se instalaron temporalmente unas obras de Chirino en una calle de Gran Canaria.
es posible que unas obras de Chirino se coloquen en una calle de Gran Canaria.
se colocaron unas obras de Chirino en las calles de la capital de España.