The Klementinum Library, in Prague, Czech Republic, opened in 1722 as part of a Jesuit university, houses works of world importance and is an exquisite example of Baroque architecture. It has been voted the most beautiful in the world.
They were central places of knowledge and human intellectual progress, their magnificent buildings were built to be beautiful and durable. Its spaces, at the same time intimate and enormous, and full of unique and invaluable literary treasures, with an unmistakable aroma, give them a special charm, which makes them magical and attractive for scholars and travelers.
The great historical libraries, sacred temples of culture where letters and architecture come together and the most important thing is the interior, are beautiful and majestic places, and among all of them the Klementinum library shines with its own light (www.klementinum.com/en) located in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, in central Europe.
Klementinum, a fine example of Baroque architecture, which opened in 1722 as part of a complex founded by the Jesuits in 1556, was chosen as No. 1 among the most beautiful and majestic libraries in the world, for the platform of art, design and photography ‘ Bored Panda ‘(BP).
Just as this library is a rare and little-known treasure, it is also associated with little-known facts, according to BP.
For example, some of the rare historical books in his collection were sent to Google for digitization and subsequent availability in Google Books, the Jesuit complex of which the library is part was the third largest in the world and in the nearby astronomical tower began to Record the daily temperature and rainfall of Prague from 1775.
The pearl of a majestic Jesuit complex
The baroque library and the astronomical tower were rebuilt and open to the public, within the program ‘Prague, European cultural capital 2000’, according to Prague Tourism, TdP, (https://www.prague.eu/es).
The large complex of Klementinum, where the Baroque library is located, is located next to the Charles Bridge, right in the historical center of Prague, it was built on an area of two hectares and is one of the largest ensembles of buildings in Europe .
This complex with a long and rich history and which to this day is an important place of culture and knowledge, was founded by the Jesuits after their arrival in Bohemia in 1556, and their works and reconstructions took place over more than 170 years, so it includes a variety of architectural styles, Klementinum reports to EFE.
The Jesuits ran a school in that complex that in 1622 was promoted to a university. In addition to classrooms, community dormitories, and churches, they built a library, print room, pharmacy, and theater.
This university remained after the Jesuits left the building complex in 1773, and after being divided into a Czech and a German part, only the Czech part remained in 1882. In 1930, its Faculty of Philosophy moved to a new building and Klementinum it became the headquarters of the National Library.
A temple of literature and beauty
The Baroque library was first opened in 1722 as part of the Jesuit university based at Klementinum.
According to legend, the Jesuits brought a single book to Prague. But his funds were growing rapidly. From 1782, all Prague printers delivered copies to the library on a mandatory basis and 25 years later, this obligation was extended to all of Bohemia, according to TdP.
Currently, the library operates under the name of the National Library (Národní knihovna) and has millions of books, the oldest being the Vyšehrad Code, and keeping copies of dogmatics, hermetic and numerology, adds this source.
Its collections include more than 20,000 volumes of theological literature, most of them foreign and incorporated from the early 17th century until recent times, including some rare specimens with white spines and painted red markings, which have been in the library since the time of the Jesuits.
In 1777, the library was declared a Public and University Library, and in 1781, its director Karel Rafael Ungar established a collection of literature written in the Czech language called ‘Biblioteca Nationalis’, which now has the same name and is located at the head of the room from the gallery.
The interior of the Baroque library has remained intact since the 18th century, and the ceiling of its room is decorated with frescoes by the painter Jan Hiebl representing allegorical motifs of education, and portraits of Jesuit saints, university patrons, and prominent representatives of this religious order.
Hiebl, who is also the author of the paintings in the “Mirror Chapel”, located in the Klementinum complex of buildings, is a Czech artist who makes a great impression on people who visit his works, according to the portal “The Creative Adventurer” .
The illusory painting of the dome, with themes of Science and Arts, symbolizes the Temple of Wisdom, while on the sides there are medallions of important Jesuits and at the head of the room, there is a portrait of Emperor Joseph II, who enriched the Klementinum with books confiscated from other abolished monastic libraries, according to Prague Tourism.
Also notable is the collection of geographic and astronomical globes located in the center of the library, mainly works by Jesuits, including astronomical clocks built by scientist Jan Klein. Around the walls is a gallery with a forged barrier balcony, he adds.
(June 12, 2020, EFEReportajes / PracticaEspañol)
The related video news (June 7, 2020):